On May 19, 2005, the Minister of Education and Science of The Republic of Armenia (RA) signed the Bergen Communiqué thereby officially joining The Bologna Process assuming responsibility to accomplish the realization of the main principles of The Bologna Process action lines by 2010 to become a part of developing European Higher Education Area.
The Ministry of Education and Science RA has launched actions in the direction of making reforms in the field of higher and postgraduate education. These includee the education structure, content, and management, with the purpose of ensuring the integration of the RA higher education system into the European Higher Education Area, and providing competitiveness in international education arena.
The integration into EHEA and the management of the higher education system according to ECTS is of the utmost importance for Armenia. The other issues are secondary. Education management based on new principles implies the implementation of new management methods, the establishment of the state financing new methods, and the promotion of links within the labor market.
Reforms towards Internationalization in Armenia within the Framework of The Bologna Process
• 2004 – RA National Assembly ratified Lisbon Convention on Mutual Recognition of
• 2005 – The document of the membership of Armenia in Bologna Process was signed
in Bergen Ministerial Summit
• 2005 – The two-cycle system has been implemented on the systemic level in
Armenia since the previously mentioned academic year
• 2005 – National Information Center for Academic Recognition and Mobility
(ArmENIC) was set up http://www.armenic.am/
• 2005 – The Credit System/ECTS/ was introduced into the Higher Education System
• 2006 – The program on “The implementation of a three-level degree system of
higher education in RA” was confirmed
• 2007 – RA Government confirmed the supplement /diploma supplement/ of the
University graduation document /diploma/
• 2009 – National Center for Professional Education Quality Assurance was founded http://www.anqa.am/en/
• 2010 – Researcher level of education was introduced
• 2011 – RA Government confirmed “The National Framework of Education
Qualifications of RA” consisting of 8 levels
• 2011 – RA Government confirmed higher education financing strategy of RA
• 2011 – Resolution on Accreditation Criteria for RA Professional Education was
• 2011 – Order Issued on Accreditation of RA Professional Education Institutions and
their specializations was adopted