This is the slogan of the “Urartu” University of Practical Psychology and Sociology – the only specialized university in sphere of psychology, sociology and social work in the Republic of Armenia.
Coming together with Professor Sedrak A. Sedrakyan – the president of the University, a group of outstanding psychologists of the Republic in a very short time managed to establish a university that corresponds to international standards by its professional direction and high level of training specialists.
The founders of the University realized clearly that the newborn independent country – Armenia, integrating the international structures, needed qualified specialists not only in the sphere of economy but also in the sphere of science, education and culture.
The idea of establishing a psychological university was born in 1988 after the disastrous earthquake. The terrible calamity covered the north-western regions of the country which had advanced industry, dense population, rich culture and national traditions. For a couple of seconds it razed to the ground a great number of cities and villages, taking away thousands of lives. The survivors faced an unbelievable sorrow caused by the loss of their homes and relatives.
As a social creature a man could not remain indifferent towards this type of changes, and all these problems pressured and had their reflection on people’s psychological health. Moral and physical dissatisfaction brought to various contradictions, thus causing different psycho and physical diseases.
The republic needed a great number of qualified psychologists to help people to overcome their psychological tension and stresses and organize rehabilitation work.
The republic also needed its own psychological school to prepare specialists who would know our national features, traditions which would help them to do better work with the population.
Taking into consideration this situation and the demands of that period, in 1991 the university named “Urartu” opened its doors for the young people who wished to get psychological education.
The management of the university can surely declare today that the students are being taught according to the local and foreign educational standards. Doctors of science, professors and assistant professors are included today in the stuff of the University. The professions taught at the University and the educational degrees meet the demands of the correspondent bodies of the government of the Republic of Armenia.
“Urartu” University has published a great number of books, psychological tests, magazines, methodological textbooks, programs and the articles of our lecturers.
Young people from Armenia and from foreign countries are studying at the University who are going to supply the Armenian school of psychologists with qualified specialists, do serious research work and have their input in building our young, independent Republic.
International Relations of the University
“Urartu” university cooperates with a number of international scientific centers and universities such as “Fordam” and “Hovstra” Universities of New York, “La Vern” University in California and American University for Humanities, the professional school of psychology attached to the Academy of Science, the institute of psychology after D. N. Uznadze in Georgia, etc.
Only for the last years the leading lecturers and students of the University took part and made speeches in a number of international scientific congresses in the USA, Israel, Greece, Canada, France, Sweden, Hungary and Germany.
The senior students of the university spend their practical studies and the pre-diploma practice in foreign institutions and corresponding organizations.
The American specialists held courses of teaching the latest methods of psychotherapy for Armenian psychologists (EMDR) during three years and granted correspondent certificates.
Teaching, practice, academic activities are organized end leaded by 4 Chairs (Chair of Natural Science, Humanities, Languages and Psychology) of the University.
The inter-university council often organizes student academic conferences, debate clubs, hiking, sport competitions, parties and other cultural parties.
A three-level education is realized by the programs of bachelor’s degree, master’s degree and PhD for the following professions:
• Clinical psychology
• Manegement and management psychology
• Pre-school and school psychology
• Forensic psychological expertise
• Juridical psychology
• Pedagogies and psychology
2. SOCIAL WORK
Bachelor’s degree (4 years)
The graduates attain bachelor’s education, diploma and degree of a qualified bachelor of psychology with certain specialization.
Master’s degree (2 years)
Urartu University is the one of those less universities that has accreditation not only for bachelor’s degree but also for master’s degree. The graduates with bachelor’s degree of both state and private universities and diploma specialists can apply for Master’s degree at “Urartu” university. The graduates obtain Master’s degree and state diploma, and will be given the opportunity to apply for PhD.
PhD program (3 years)
PhD gives an opportunity to work at thesis and receive degree of candidate of psychology.
University has right to hold PhD qualification examination in “Social Psychology” and is recognized by Higher Qualification Comity as a leading organization for PhD and Post Doctoral dissertation defence.
Since 1993 preliminary courses are organized in the University, graduates of which have privileges for entering the University without passing examination.
Information for applicants
For applying to “Urartu” University one must present the following documents:
• Certificate of secondary education
• Copy of the passport
• 6 photos
The applicants have to pass the following examinations
• The Armenian language (dictation)
• Foreign language (orally)
• Biology (orally)
Admission requirements for foreign students
• “Urartu” University gives an opportunity to foreign citizens to get an education regardless of their nationality, social and economic status, religious creed, sex, language, nature of occupation, etc. After graduating from the University they receive graduation certificate (diploma) of the Republic of Armenia.
• There is a preparatory department in the structure of the University, where foreign applicants are taught Armenian language, English language, biology and some introductory courses. Students have access to University’s library, reading room, computer auditorium, gym, etc.
• Students whose education level meets the standards of secondary (complete) general education of the Republic of Armenia are welcomed to be enrolled at «Urartu» University of Practical Psychology and Sociology.
• Foreign citizens may obtain postgraduate education at “Urartu” University if they have Master’s degree or diploma of a specialist qualification.
• Foreigners, who want to learn at “Urartu” University, should submit the below mentioned documents either to the Ministry of Education of RA or to the local diplomatic representation, embassy:
2. Application addressed to the Minister of Education of RA, where the student’s major at “Urartu” University should be mentioned.
4. Appropriate education certificate (diploma) indicating the passed subjects and the final exam grades.
5. Copy of all pages of passport.
6. 4 passport size photos.
7. For admission to postgraduate level, students should submit an essay or officially approved list of publications, where the date and place of the publication should be mentioned, and 2-3 copies of publications should be submitted.
8. The papers are accepted for consideration only in case of consular validation, unless otherwise provided by the law of the Republic of Armenia or other international treaties, where the Republic of Armenia and that country are participants.
• Foreign citizens during their study at “Urartu” University are accommodated in hostels.
• There is a financial assistance program at “Urartu” University.